The Tech That Helped Take Down Marathon Bombing Suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev
Casey Chan and Brian Barrett, gizmodo.com
The second suspect in the brutal Boston Marathon bombings has been apprehended, after five days of uncertainty and fear. And while all credit for Dzhokar Tsarnaev’s capture goes to the men and women of the many, many agencies that spent the last w…
The Tech That Helped Take Down Marathon Bombing Suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev http://flip.it/dhUon http://flip.it/ljwiz
Biotechnology (Photo credit: Idaho National Laboratory)
By Steven Syre, bostonglobe.com
We’re living in a new a golden age of biotechnology in Massachusetts.
By this I don’t mean the sheer number of start-ups and other young local companies hoping to make their marks. Nor am I highlighting the impressive list of glob…
The new golden age of biotech in Massachusetts – Business
Skyline of Boston. Picture was taken from a whale watching ferry that left from the aquarium dock. It is the Eastern side of the Boston peninsula. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
A slew of new ventures is springing up in the Boston and NYC area aiming to fill the need for job based, tech training for working professionals. This includes Intelligent.ly, Boston Startup School, General Assembly, and well known companies such as Skillshare.
Catching a new wave of courses – Page 2 – Boston.com.
English: This image is from Issue 3 of The New Enthuiast book review of “Some Common Weaknesses Illustrated” entitled “This Book Heals People” (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Carson Cistulli – University of Massachusetts – RateMyProfessors.com.
This is hilarious. This guy is a Milton grad and has a stimulating style of writing and teaching writing. These are reviews by his students.
The Connecticut River and Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts. Looking south from Mt. Sugarloaf in Deerfield, toward the towns of Sunderland, Amherst and Whately. The buildings of the University of Massachusetts Amherst can be seen in the distance to the left, and farther off, the Holyoke range of mountains. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
With the increasing evidence that wild game has a much improved nutritional and health profile than factor farmed foods, there are more events springing up that provide access to curious urbanites in the Pioneer Valley.
In Western Mass., hunters’ communal grill – Boston.com.
Manufacturing Jobs (Photo credit: Leader Nancy Pelosi)
Artisan’s Asylum, Inc. is a non-profit community craft studio located at 10 Tyler Street, in Somerville, Massachusetts. Their mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and practicing of craft of all varieties. To support that mission, they offer the following:
- A fully equipped and professionally maintained manufacturing facility, which includes capabilities for precision metal machining, electrical fabrication, welding, woodworking, sewing & fiber arts, robotics, bicycle building and repair, and screenprinting
- A large range of affordable, publicly-accessible classes in these areas and more offered by local artisans, either focusing on creating a final product the student can take home after the class or general training for specific tools
- Monthly and daily membership plans for the general public to access our facility on weekends and after working hours, encouraging DIY culture and community craftsmanship
- Affordable space and equipment rental to local professional artists and businesspeople interested in having access to industrial-grade manufacturing equipment and a dedicated manufacturing environment without having to invest in capital equipment and long-term space leases
- On-site material storage and resale and on-site project storage, allowing community members to create and store projects without the hassle of handling material and storage logistics
- Hosting and promotion of local craft-related events
- A new 25,000 foot space including Dedicated quiet classroom and computer lab, New capabilities, such as a 3-d print, Kitchenette and dining social area
Artisan’s Asylum Inc.
English: Tax rates around the world: Corporate tax rates (the highest rate) by countries Polski: Stawki podatkowe na świecie: CIT (najwyższa stawka) w poszczególnych państwach (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Very nice info graphic and visualization tool which shows (yikes) both the tax rates for each town and also the change in assessed home values. It definitely shows the drop in value that occurred in Central Mass and some other regions where a simple house can now be purchased for under 100k.
Town-by-town assessed home values and billed property tax amounts in Massachusetts, from 2000 to 2010 – Boston.com.
English: Town Hall, Great Barrington Massachusetts, October 2009 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Definitely check this place out if you are in Western Mass. Nice use of local farm’s foods….
Route 7 Grill – Farm-to-table restaurant in Great Barrington, MA.
English: kettle lakes and peaks of the Alaska Range seen from the Denali Highway Category:Images of Alaska (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Freshwater secrets, paddle optional – Boston.com.
As an avid lake swimmer, I was excited to find this article which reveals some of the unknown freshwater swimming holes and kettle ponds of the Cape.